Protest against arrest of top 9 leaders of Jamaat-e-Islami including Amir and Secretary General
Bangladesh Islami Chhatra Shibir has issued a statement demanding immediate release of 9 top leaders unjustly detained by police, including Jamaat-e-Islami's Ameer Maqbool Ahmed, Naib-e-Amir Professor Mia Golam Parowar, Secretary General Dr. Shafiqur Rahman.
In a a joint protest statement, Shibir President Yasin Arafat and Secretary General Mobarak Hossain said, the government is arresting top leaders of Jamaat-e-Islami including Jamaat-e-Islami Ameer Maqbool Ahmed for the narrow-minded purpose of pursuing political vendetta. For a democratic country, the oppressive measures of current illegal government have broken all records of the past. Ultimately, even the top leaders of the country's main political parties are not safe from arrests even in the home environments, which has been clear from the arrest of the top nine leaders of Jamaat-e-Islami, one of the biggest political parties in the country. After their arrest, the administration has filed two false cases in their name today. The court has granted a total of 10 days remand against them in this false case. This false case and remand against elderly and senior political figureheads will be an example of malicious politics in the political history of the country. By carrying out this inhuman and fascist behavior, the illegal government has blocked all the avenues of political expression and culture of long-term political sympathy and exposed its political bankruptcy.
A wolf in sheep’s clothing, the current government, with empty slogans of democracy, is planning to establish long term authoritarian rule, after ideological failure, the result of which is this malicious crackdown upon Jamaat. On one hand, the government is talking about the rule of law, while on the other hand, it is following the strategy to suppress the political opponents through arrest, attack, torture and oppression. For the purpose of realizing this blue print, the leaders of Jamaat-e-Islami and Chhatra Shibir are being arrested, abducted and tortured throughout the country. There is no security of people's lives in the country, no freedom of expression for the people, nor any freedom of the press. The government is unable to tolerate the opposition in order to cement its authority in a long-standing manner. The government has been continuing to undertake one undemocratic activity after another to establish a one-party rule through suppressing opposition party leader-workers and silencing them.
The leaders said that the common people today are not being spared from the clutches of the government party people and the police. Corruption, rape, tender-grabbing, and extortion have become a routine occurrence. The government, failing in all metrics of governance today, is trying to move focus away from its bad governance by general repression and oppressive authoritarian attitude against the political parties. This hate-filled conspiracy to eliminate the Islamic movement by the fascist government will never be successful.
The leaders said, the government should remember that Jamaat-e-Islami is a systematic and law-abiding political party of Bangladesh. Jamaat-e-Islami has continued to follow the laws of the country, the constitution and the conventional rules to manage its party programs. Those who have been arrested are the front row leaders of the country's top political party. They are innocent and and are representative of the refined popular leadership in the country. The government has carried out extreme injustice by arresting, falsifying cases and remanding them. We hope the government will regain its sense and will display tolerance through immediate release of the leadership ensuring stability and democratic norms in the political landscape.
The leaders urged the government to immediately release the Jamaat leaders.
- Shibir mourns death of Shaheed Md. Aminul Islam's mother
- Chhatra Shibir strongly condemns and protests the arrest of former Rangpur City president and involving him with terrorism case
- If the Islamic education system is not established then it will not be possible to create ideal people - Shibir president
- Strong condemnation and protest of arrest of 5 leaders and activists from Chittagong and subsequent arms extraction drama
- The rights and safety of non-Muslim citizens have been ensured in the Islamic State - Shibir Secretary General
- Chhatra Shibir mourns death of Shibir leader Ibrahim Khalil in road accident
- Young students have awakened the conscience of the nation - Shibir president
- Strong condemnation and protest of the false statement of the Chhatra League General Secretary against Chhatra Shibir
- Accept the logical demands of the students immediately - Shibir President
- Shibir Statement demanding trial of killers of students, resignation of Shipping minister and trial of attackers upon student protesters